Monday, December 30, 2019

Sump Pump instead of Condensate Pump

I had a problem with condensate pumps that frequently clog and fail. I have a tankless water heater and a direct vent HVAC system which both drip at least 1 gallon of water per day. When the pumps fail, they flood the basement and I have to make an emergency trip to Home Depot to buy a new one for $60. The pumps are available for less at Amazon, however, when I already have a flood situation, there is no time to order online.


I decided that there must be a better way. I bought an Everbuilt 18x22 sump pump basin with a cover.


Here is my natural gas tankless hot water heater with condensate pump.
Here is my HVAC system with second condensate pump. As you can see, I started to cut into the concrete with an angle grinder using masonry disks. It made a mess so i used some water to reduce the dust. I wore a charcoal respirator, ear protection and safety goggles. The angle grinder only made a 1-1/2" groove in the concrete. The concrete dust got all over my basement.
Links to safety equipment:




I bought an air compressor, an air hammer, and a chisel which i used with my hammer and sledgehammer



It was slow going. The air hammer wasn't strong enough. It only helped a little. The 10 pound sledge hammer did the job. The concrete was about 6" thick. After breaking up and removing the concrete, I had to dig out the dirt about 20" down to fit the basin.

I then bought a bunch of schedule 40, 3/4" and 1" PVC pipe and a 1/3 horsepower cast iron sump pump with switch and a one way valve.



It works really well. I will update if I have any issues.

Video Below:


No comments:

Post a Comment